Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Searching For The Right Words



There are moments in time when we try in vain to find the right words to say. The death of a loved one is one of those times. We search in vain to try to muster up just the right thing to say, and if you are like me, sometimes we feel we have nothing good to offer. That is why I like the picture I found above. It is an acronym that aptly defines the scripture Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken [is like] apples of gold in pictures of silver." Having a fitly spoken word (well timed and placed) does more to encourage a soul than trying to fumble over figuring out the right words we think someone wants to hear.

As I struggle with coming to grips and the reality of my only brother, Brian dying of cancer yesterday, I realize the importance of this phrase. He was 38 and he leaves behind a 14 year old son and an 18 year old whom he raised since he was 3. His ex-girlfriend and mother of the children threw my brother out last March when she realized he was no longer a viable income source and only a drain to her life. This situation put my mother dependent on taking care of all his needs.  She even had been using her limited resources to help him get medical care and food since then.We are trying to figure out how to pay to travel on our limited budget (my husband sold off some farm equipment to get us all there and to help pay for burial costs, (medicaid pays some and my mom doesn't want to ask for help). So, if anyone would feel inclined to give, email me and I will send along my mom's address. sowinlove@gmail.com

So, this will be a very hard funeral to go to. I have to be there for my mom who is wondering why she had to bury her husband and now has to bury a child. I am trying to make decisions and don't know the answers. It is blur right now. I am searching for the right words myself. I fear going to this funeral and having to watch my brother's ex-girlfriend, she has had vicious past actions towards us and my mom. I pray the Lord will give the right words to fill my mouth with. I am also dealing with my brother rejecting the Gospel. He stated he was comfortable that he would go to hell. As far as I know, he never repented.

A good friend reached out last night with some fitting words, she watched her mom reject the Gospel and die and now her dad died 3 weeks ago, as far as she knows they both rejected the Gospel. She had to endure people's loving intentions of saying at least her dad was with her mom now. To her those words didn't help, because she knew that meant they were both probably in Hell and she knew they certainly wouldn't be together. They weren't fitting for her situation. She simply told me to have comfort in the fact that I didn't neglect to tell him. Those were the words the Lord knew I needed to hear. She gave some timely advice that were apples of gold to me.

I am praying that the Lord supplies me with those kind of timely words, I fear to even open my mouth. If I seem quiet to everyone right now,  just know that I know everyone cares and I do appreciate your prayers and sympathy.

May we all be encouragers and have some apples of gold to give
A ppropriate
P leasant
P ure
L ovely
E ncouraging
S oft

1 comment:

Tancy said...

Praying you will be anointed with "apples of gold". May God wrap His loving arms around you in this time and give you wisdom (James 1:5)